The Learning Tree Preschool in San Diego, CA (Cardiff by the Sea to be exact), is one of the only preschools in San Diego to offer a combination of "Play Based" and Academic curriculum.
What is a "Play Based" Curriculum?
Play based learning draws from children’s natural desire to engage in experiences based on their own interests, strengths and developing skills. Studies show that when children initiate play, they are more motivated to learn and develop positive mind sets towards learning. As children are empowered to make decisions and initiate play, they become confident and motivated learners.
Why is a "Play Based" Curriculum important?
At the Learning Tree Preschool San Diego, we understand that the educator’s role in supporting play based learning is vital. We therefore encourage our care providers to engage every child in both conversation and play so as to extend and enhance their way of thinking. Additional benefits include, but are not limited to:
• Providing a balance between child led, child initiated and care provider supported learning
• Creating learning environments to support learning
• Utilizes children’s ideas and interests to extend and create new experiences
• Utilizes indoor and outdoor areas to facilitate play and learning
• Offers a variety of play spaces, for example art, dance, sensory, construction
• Enables children to self select materials and play independently from others
• Allows children to work alone or with others
• Caters for different abilities and learning styles
• Connects experiences to children’s lives
• Links children’s investigations to key learning areas or outcomes
Proven Benefits of a Play Based Learning:
A play based program has many benefits for children as it helps in the development of skills, dispositions and knowledge. An effective play based program assists in a child's development of lifelong learning skills that will stay with them beyond the early learning environment. Engaging in play based learning enables children to use and develop thinking skills such as problem solving, reasoning and lateral thinking.